Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:59:07 -0400

> There are two orthogonal questions regarding the header/links lines
> in an *info* buffer:
>
>   1. Should Emacs Info use up extra space in an Info display by
>      showing a second line, a line that many people dislike?
>
>   2. Should it be possible to copy the file name and node name of an
>      Info file from a node seen in Info.
>
> From the comments, many people are against # 1, either because screen
> space is valuable or because they dislike seeing a second line, or both.
>
> As for # 2:  some people never seem to want to refer other people to
> Info nodes.  They never tell people to RTFM, but I do.
>
> I set `Info-use-header-line' to `nil' in my .emacs file and copy the
> lines that tell people the file name and node name.  (There is a
> command for this using the fancy header lines that exist by default,
> but I cannot remember it; I just copy the `non-header' line.)
>
> Evidentally, the new-styule `header lines' are constructed to be like
> mode lines, which cannot be copied and never have been able to be
> copied.  (And I have never missed be unable to copy them.)  However,
> since I often tell people to RTFM, I do copy the headers for Info
> nodes.

How about having a right-click on the header-line or somesuch pop-up
a menu where you can select "copy location to kill-ring" ?
The location could even be more verbose than the displayed one,
i.e. (info "(emacs)Top") or some such.
This is very much like what most browsers allow you to do on a `link',
so it might be "intuitive enough".

        Stefan