Re: new text property

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: new text property
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:03:30 +0200

Hrvoje Niksic <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kai writes:
>
>> As I understand, M-x font-lock-mode RET _is_ generic, despite the
>> name.
>
> How have you come to that conclusion?  There are different
> highlighting mechanisms that have nothing to do with font-lock mode,
> such as those used by Gnus and VM.

Because there was a lengthy discussion to do just that: allow M-x
font-lock-mode RET as the user interface for highlighting which is
done in another way.

>> But in the end, it doesn't make too much of a difference:
>> font-lock-mode is just a general toggle for the mode to do
>> highlighting however it likes to do that.
>
> You can overload font-lock-mode to mean that, but it has traditionally
> not been the case.

In Emacs, this overloading has happened some days ago.  Hence this
thread, xposted to xemacs-devel.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)