Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:52:37 -0400

>    ...  hide the first line by scrolling (rather than by
>    narrow-to-region as is currently done), so that the deep info is
>    readily available, although it's not annoyingly in-your-face like
>    it is now.
>
> This fails the `newbie' test.  Some years ago, when I first learned
> about the `Info-top-node' command, I tried it.  (I still use it often,
> to get to the main menu.)  You are suggesting that when a newbie first
> looks at the beginning of an Info file, he or she not see an old style
> header line in addition to its current header line ; but that when she
> goes back to the beginning of an Info file, it look different from
> what it was and show *two* nearly similer header lines.

Info-top-node will not show that line either.

Look, several people (myself included) dislike having both the
header-line and the "normal" text line.  I want the header-line
because it's always accessible.  You want to be able to copy
the text of the node name easily.

I don't think someone will come up with a way to copy the text
from the mode-line and/or the header-line any time soon, because it's
simply non trivial (for the simple reason that the mapping between the
"deep" info and what is actually displayed is itself non trivial).

So if you can come up with a perfect solution, great, but I'm
willing to settle for the "scroll out of view" since it is simple
and gets most people 90% satisfied.
I still haven't heard any other concrete proposal.

        Stefan