Re: NT Emacs make problem..

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: NT Emacs make problem..
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 06:14:40 -0600 (MDT)

    Normally, it is not necessary to use "make bootstrap" after every CVS
    update.  Unless there are problems, "make all" should be used.

That is a good point.  We should state that.

    Note that "make bootstrap" overwrites some files which are under CVS
    control (in particular, lisp/loaddefs.el and lisp/cus-load.el).  So
    subsequent CVS updates might lead to CVS conflicts.

Why do conflicts happen here?  If you update these files locally based
on the sources as they are in CVS, and someone else updates the VCS
versions of these files also based on the sources as they are in CVS,
why doesn't CVS just say that the versions agree?  Is it because your
checked-out file has a different modtime than what is recorded in CVS?

If so, maybe we should use md5 checksums instead of file dates
in loaddefs.el to determine whether a file has changed.
Would that solve the problem?

As for cus-load.el, I don't see any reason why it would have such a
problem.  What is the reason?