Re: Please pretest Emacs 21.3

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Please pretest Emacs 21.3
Date: 12 Jun 2002 10:32:11 +0100

> On Sun, 26 May 2002 19:54:04 -0600 (MDT), Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Please send mail to the list if you use the RC branch.
>
> I'm using EMACS_21_1_RC on Windows 2K, and the pretest tarball on W2K
> and RedHat Linux 7.2. Not a problem in sight, either compiling or using
> them, except the bug/feature mentioned in another message about
> w32-select-font selecting a -iso10646-1 font instead of a -iso8859-1 one.

What is the actual bug that this causes?  I didn't see any mention of
incorrect characters or fonts being displayed, or characters not
being displayed at all as a result of this change in behavior.
AFAIK the only change in behavior that this change causes is that
Emacs now displays latin-9 and mule-unicode-* characters out of the
box on Windows, whereas in 21.1 it was necessary to change
w32-charset-info-alist yourself (which also had the side effect of
changing the charset returned by w32-select-font for "Western" fonts).