Re: Old CUA and new keyboard.c (was: Problem with latest CVS version of

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Old CUA and new keyboard.c (was: Problem with latest CVS version of keyboard.c (solved) )
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:49:02 -0400

> > I was wondering why you need to wait for the next character after a
> > C-x or C-c to see if they start a function key...  I don't think those
> > specific keys will ever do that, so maybe you should only delay the
> > use of key-translation-map in case the key is actually a potential
> > candidate for starting a function key.
>
> That sounds like a good approach.  I'll see what I can do with it.

Actually, C-x is already bound in function-key-map in the dumped
Emacs because of the `C-x @ m', `C-x @ a', ... feature.

The change in the code is pretty simple and feels right, so I might
install it when I've tested it some more, but it doesn't solve the
problem at hand.

It seems there's a fundamental incompatibility here.
On the one hand key-translation-map needs to be applied as soon as C-x
is pressed and on the other, it should not be applied if the user hits
C-x @ m.

Anybody has a good idea how to reconcile those two constraints ?
Why did cua use key-translation-map rather than a minor-mode keymap ?

        Stefan