Integrate Tramp

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Integrate Tramp
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 23:23:04 +0200

Finally, I'd like to integrate Tramp into Emacs.  How is the
procedure?  Do I just commit something or do I post it here for
inspection?

Without further instructions, I would commit lisp/net/tramp.el and
lisp/net/tramp-vc.el for the code and man/tramp.texi for the
documentation.

There is also tramp_ja.texi for a Japanese version of the manual and
tramp-util.el which contains just one short function, tramp-compile,
as a remote analog of `compile'.  These should not be committed, I
think.

At the moment, tramp.el contains a version number (the $Id$
keyword).  I gather that you're not happy with having version numbers
in Lisp files.  But I think it would be useful to continue to support
a version of Tramp which is not bundled with Emacs.  Then people can
try out new Tramp features without having to fetch the most recent
Emacs version from CVS.  Advice?

kai
--
People mountain, people sea, today no see, tomorrow see.  (from Chinese)