Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:31:11 -0600 (MDT)

    Finally, I'd like to integrate Tramp into Emacs.  How is the
    procedure?  Do I just commit something or do I post it here for
    inspection?

I'd like to see the diffs you propose to install in the existing
files.  One question is, how will the user control whether to use
Tramp or Ange-ftp?

    Without further instructions, I would commit lisp/net/tramp.el and
    lisp/net/tramp-vc.el for the code and man/tramp.texi for the
    documentation.

Ok.

    At the moment, tramp.el contains a version number (the $Id$
    keyword).  I gather that you're not happy with having version numbers
    in Lisp files.  But I think it would be useful to continue to support
    a version of Tramp which is not bundled with Emacs.  Then people can
    try out new Tramp features without having to fetch the most recent
    Emacs version from CVS.  Advice?

If nobody but you has to edit the version number then I do not object
to it.