Re: how to find out methods for tramp?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: how to find out methods for tramp?
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:29:38 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai just added `tramp' to the latest GNU Emacs CVS.
>
> How do I find out which methods to use for tramp connections?

The variable tramp-methods contains a complete list of available
methods.

In the Tramp info file, there is a node which describes all those
methods in greater detail, or at least tries to.  Is that node
helpful at all?

> But I failed to connect to two other machines, to both of which I can
> connect using ssh:
>
> My ISP, a Sun box, called `titan'"
>
>     SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-08 sun4u sparc
>     has  uuencode but not mimencode
>
>     I tried smx, sm, su, and tu  and failed with tramp.

Could you please (setq tramp-debug-buffer t) {this might be the
default value} and start a fresh Emacs, invoke C-x C-f
/[sm/address@hidden/path/to/file RET, then send me the *debug tramp/foo*
buffer as well as the *tramp/foo* buffer?

Please type in the remote file name completely, without using
filename completion.  This means that the debug buffer is smaller,
which makes it easier for me to look at it.

You might wish to have a look at the debug buffer to see if it
contains confidential information.  When you delete that, please
indicate where you have deleted stuff.

> My sister's box, an i586
>
>     GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.18
>     has mimencode
>     running OpenSSH_3.0.2p1 Debian 1:3.0.2p1-9,
>        SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090603f
>       and permits remote connections using only protocol 2
>
>     I tried smx and sm and failed with tramp.
>
>     I can connect to this box from an xterm using `ssh -2'

I think there are methods sm1 and sm2 which explicitly invoke the
right protocol version.  But I'm not exactly sure what they are doing.

Anyhow, it should be easy to add an entry to tramp-methods which adds
the right args to the "ssh" invocation.

[time passes]

Ah, the sm1 and sm2 methods invoke ssh1 and ssh2, respectively.  Hm.
So maybe we need variants which do "ssh -1" and "ssh -2",
respectively.  What should their names be?

Maybe the methods invoking ssh1 or ssh2 instead of ssh can be deleted
now that ssh1 is getting really old?

kai
--
People mountain, people sea, today no see, tomorrow see.  (from Chinese)