Re: comint-interrupt-subjob also kills pending input

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: comint-interrupt-subjob also kills pending input
Date: 19 Jun 2002 10:32:13 +0900

>     With your change it becomes much more difficult to do that.
>
> It is trivial -- M-p brings it back.

Ah, I didn't realize that.  However, like the previous situation with
`C-y' yanking back the text, it seems likely that _most_ people won't
realize this.

It also results in a somewhat inconsistent situation that might confuse
users -- the `unsent' input is treated as if it had been sent to the
process in every way _except_ that wasn't sent (in particular, being put
into the `command ring', and being highlighted in bold like other `input').

Sometimes in fact it is very important to know what has been sent and
what hasn't, and this behavior confuses the issue (I guess you can
often [but not always] tell by looking for bold text followed by a
non-bold `C-c C-c', but again, this is `special knowledge' that a naive
user might not pick up on).

>     Instead of replacing `comint-kill-input' with `comint-skip-input', why
>     not just have nothing?
>
> I don't like that.  C-c C-c in Emacs is supposed to be like C-c in
> an ordinary terminal.  People could be painfully surprised if that
> fails to discard the input.

I think rather they would be pleasantly surprised; this is something
that terminals can't do, but emacs can do easily and well.

I'm not sure why you think it would cause any pain, since it's
completely obvious what's going on (after all, the unsent input floats
ahead of any new input and is available for editing), and very easy to
delete the input using the normal editing procedures for command lines.
This is important, I think -- unlike every other behavior, it doesn't
require any special knowledge, you just edit like normal.

Personally, I find that it's _usually_ the case that when I hit C-c C-c
with unsent input, it's because I forgot to kill a program, and had
started to type the next command, and then suddenly realized what was
going on, and hit C-c C-c.  To me this seems like a common scenario,
and it's obviously one in which the assumption should be that the user
wants to keep the input.

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.