Re: how to find out methods for tramp?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: how to find out methods for tramp?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:21:15 +0300 (IDT)

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

>    In the Tramp info file, there is a node ...
>
> Yes, I looked at those.  The are fine explanations.
>
> The problem is, the only way I could choose one method instead of
> another was to try a whole bunch of methods.  That is the problem and
> is inefficent.

This probably means that the Tramp manual should explain the methods more
than it does now, perhaps from a different angle: it should make it easy
for a user to choose the suitable method.

One idea is to add a kind of ``cookbook'': a @multitable which lists
several popular situations and the best Tramp method which matches each
situation.

Another idea is to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each
method, in a way that makes it easier to decide which is the best one for
you.