Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: 19 Jun 2002 14:45:19 +0200

>     Simply via the filename.  /address@hidden/path/to/file (including the
>     square brackets) is a Tramp filename, whereas
>     /address@hidden:/path/to/file is an Ange-FTP filename.
>
> I see now.  When I saw this before I did not realize that the
> brackets were meant literally.

Actually, the full tramp format seems to be

        /[method/address@hidden/path/to/file

I think using / to separate the method is a really bad idea, as it
makes it non-trivial to parse or split a filename.

If we adapt the idea of using the same notation as ange-ftp, i.e.
        /address@hidden:/path/to/file
you could add the method as
        /address@hidden:/
if you really need to specify the method (using a list of host,method
mapping and auto-detection would be much better).