Re: how to find out methods for tramp?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: how to find out methods for tramp?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:45:58 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Can't you write some code in elisp which does this sort of thing
> automatically, and determines the best method to use for a given
> system?

Of course it's (in principle) possible to do that.  However, Tramp is
already doing a lot of auto-detection, and I didn't want to add to it
unless absolutely necessary.  (There are a lot of places where things
can go wrong, and so by letting the user choose the connection
method, some of those things are blamed on the user :-)

I want to change Tramp such that it auto-detects more things.  This
will take time, however.

kai