Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:34:53 -0600 (MDT)

    I suspect that whether you wanth to use tramp or ftp depends on both the
    machine and the user; I would be happy with a variable that let me
    specify mappings from these to the method to use (plus a default for
    otherwise unspecified machines, of course).

I think we need to implement this now, before the next release,
because having two alternative syntaxes for remote file names is not a
coherent interface.  It is usable for wizards, but not clean and nice.

If we can arrange to use the same remote file name syntax
that people are used to, it will also mean less for users to learn.