address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:35:21 -0600 (MDT)

What do you think of this idea?

To: address@hidden
From: Dan Jacobson <address@hidden>
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.bug
Subject: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye
Sender: address@hidden
Date: 19 Jun 2002 10:55:49 +0800

After using this ~20 years it dawns on me: The modeline of a buffer
with an associated file and that with no associated file look the
same.  Bad.

Buffer A has maximal autosaving, you name it, cutting edge in safety,
all because it is associated with a file.

Buffer B will go bye bye when you quit emacs, no matter what you put
in it.

Their modelines will never tell you that, gotta hit C-x C-b and look around.

It seems B should have something in the modeline close to the left
edge reminding one about the situation.

Yes I know that most are *blabla*, but I'm talking about ones I create
with C-x b blabla.  OK, I don't do that too much, but that's not the point.

The point is that the modeline tells you all the little stuff.  The
most important thing, the fact that this buffer will go bye bye
without a trace is not mentioned there!
- --
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780