Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:23:15 +0200

address@hidden (Kai writes:

>> I suggest address@hidden@method (or some other permutation)
>> just to reduce the number of delimiters that mean something special.

[...]

> Ange-FTP already uses `#', so if we must do this my suggestion is
>
>     /address@hidden:/path/to/file
>
> This does not increase the number of special characters.

Is it really necessary to change tramps filename format?
As Stefan already pointed out, the internal functions for
file-name handling should be used anyway, instead of
doing a manual split on delimiters.
Please remember that bookmarks support tramp paths too.
If you are going to change the tramp path format, every user
will have to change all his bookmarks, in addition to
learn yet another (third?) way of specifying the path for tramp.

Same is for ange-ftp bookmarked paths.  They will have to
change too.

--
CYa,
  Mario