Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:23:04 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> There are two multi-hop methods:
>
>    * `multi' -- base64 encoding with `mimencode'
>
>    * `multiu' -- use commands `uuencode' and `uudecode'
>
> I am confused:  how do I make a multi-hop that requires both?
> In particular, I would like to make a two hop connection in which the
> first hop uses `mimencode' and the second hop uses `uuencode' and
> `uudecode'

It not possible nor necessary to use a method that uses both.  Tramp
use a sequence of commands to get a shell on the remote host (on the
final host).  There, Tramp says "mimencode -b FILE".  The result of
this appears in the Emacs buffer that Tramp uses for the connection.
Tramp then gets the characters from that buffer, runs them through
base64 decoding internally, and puts the result in the buffer.

If you hop via A and then B to C, Tramp does NOT transfer the file
contents from C to B and then from B to A and from there to your local
machine.  Instead, the file contents go "directly" from C to your
local machine.

The only commands that are run on the intermediary hops are the
commands to log in to the next hop.  Once on the target machine, the
intermediary hops are invisible.

Does this explain the issue a little bit?  (Of course, the manual
needs to be improved to make it clear.  Please keep your doc bug
reports coming.)

kai