Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:22:57 +0000 (UTC)

   There are a lot of things which could be auto-detected.  ... the
   lion's share of them were added by me because they fulfilled a real
   need.

I can see that full auto-detection will fill a real need, but
nonetheless, partial detection might help in a large portion of
situations.  It looks to me that you could ignore the external methods
for the moment and focus on only four major connection methods and two
inline transfer methods:

    ftp
    telnet
    ssh protocol 1
    ssh protocol 2

    mimencode
    uuencode and uudecode

with the priority being

    sm
    smx
    su

and if those fail, then ask, with a default priority of
ftp and then telnet, tm and tu.

I agree that the info should be cached in a humanly readable and
humanly editable configure file.

And I agree that it is even more important to enable tramp to connect
to sites that provide ssh and uuencode, such as the sites I go to .... :)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com