Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:09:58 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> I can see that full auto-detection will fill a real need, but
> nonetheless, partial detection might help in a large portion of
> situations.

I agree with that.

> It looks to me that you could ignore the external methods for the
> moment and focus on only four major connection methods and two
> inline transfer methods:
>
>     ftp
>     telnet
>     ssh protocol 1
>     ssh protocol 2

Just for the heck of it, let me give an argument against this
auto-detection:  Most likely, people using ssh are interested in the
security it provides.  So suppose a user often uses Tramp to connect
to other machines, where ssh is used.  Now the user connects to a new
machine which does not provide ssh but telnet.  So Tramp will use
telnet on that machine.  And then the user will use an insecure
transport channel, without really being very much aware of it.  This
is dangerous.

All of you guys have been arguing for auto-detection, so I felt a
counter-weight was needed.

kai