Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 20:21:40 +0000 (UTC)

   ... So Tramp will use
   telnet on that machine.  And then the user will use an insecure
   transport channel, without really being very much aware of it.  This
   is dangerous.

I have always been assuming that tramp would tell me, quite vividly,
what method I am using.  (The autodetection might put the method into
the file name or something like that.)  I am now and want in the
future to be very conscious of which kind of transport channel I am
using.

Hmmm.... if auto-detection takes place behind my back -- that is to
say, I simply find-file somewhere and don't see that the transport
channel is telnet, then I am stuck.  I have to assum the worst.

I hate to say it, but I think that auto-detection should add the name
of the method to the filename, so I see and notice it when the
filename changes during the connection process.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com