Re: Current Tramp plans

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Current Tramp plans
Date: 22 Jun 2002 02:07:32 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>   Kai:
>     /address@hidden:file
>       Because I really doubt that square brackets in the user
>       name are actually needed.
>       And if they are needed, people can just say something like
>       /address@hidden:file
>       This will use the sm method, connect to host zz, and use
>       the user name "[xx]yy".
>       Since square brackets are quite rare, I don't think
>       it matters that people have to type a slightly longer
>       filename in this case.

Well, in some contexts (such as ido with regexp matching), using
square brackets in a file name component is "normal" behaviour.

I would recommend using a syntax which does not conflict with
normal regexp syntax.

>     /address@hidden:file
>       because `#' is already used by Ange-FTP as a special character

I think this is a good compromise.

Also, with ftp method, it is possible to specify the port as in
        /address@hidden:file