Re: address@hidden: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer]

From: Gerd Moellmann
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer]
Date: 23 Jun 2002 11:37:11 +0200

> Would you please help us with this?  You know this code more
> than anyone.
>
> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> Subject: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer
> To: address@hidden
> Cc: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>    address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: 22 Jun 2002 01:56:31 +0200
>
> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> > > Any reason why you can't use (face (mode-line bold)) ?
> >
> > Not anymore :-)
>
> Ok, I have changed format-mode-line to return a propertized string
> (changes are not committed yet), but the "face merging" doesn't always
> give the same result as the actual mode line:
>
> This combination works (*Help* is bold):
>
> (insert '#("-1:%%  *Help*  ..."
>          7 13 (face (mode-line :weight bold))))
>
> but this doesn't (*Help* isn't bold):
>
> (insert '#("-1:%%  *Help*  ..."
>          7 13 (face (mode-line-inactive :weight bold))))

The above list form of face property value doesn't look right.  I
think it should be something like (mode-line (:weight bold)) instead.
Each element of the list should be either a named face or a list of
face attributes; see also the Lisp Reference.  The face property value
above looks like it will use the non-existent named face `:weight'.

Since faces from a list-valued face property are merged from left to
right (AFAIR), the faces in the list should also be reversed:
((:weight bold) mode-line).  Otherwise, if mode-line explicitly
specifies a weight, the (:weight bold) will have no effect.