Re: address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 12:12:44 -0600 (MDT)

                                  and set a new variable "buffer needs
    file", so that Emacs will ask about saving changes (because there is a
    file name associated with it), and then when the user hits C-x C-s,
    Emacs recognizes that the fil name is still unknown, and asks the user
    for it.

C-x C-s already handles this, but maybe we ought to make C-x s do something
for them.

    Maybe we should do just that -- set the buffer-file-name to
    /nonexistingdrive/buffername,

What is the point in that?  Why not just leave it nil?