Re: Current Tramp plans

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Current Tramp plans
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:07:58 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> I would like to proceed in a step-by-step fashion:
>
> * First, I want to make it so that Tramp can forward requests to
>   Ange-FTP.

I have now worked on this todo item.  So you can now say C-x C-f
/[ftp/address@hidden/path/to/file RET and this will invoke Ange-FTP.

This is committed to the Tramp CVS but not to the Emacs CVS.  I'm not
sure how well tested the code in Emacs CVS should be.

(Another feature that's already done is to select methods based on
user/host combination.  But this is not general filename rewriting as
suggested by somebody.)

[time passes]

Oh, boy.  The code as it stands now won't work.  What I do is to
rewrite the file name to be in Ange-FTP format and then I invoke
ange-ftp-hook-function.  But this means that buffer-file-name in the
new buffers will have the Ange-FTP format.  This, of course, is
highly bogus.

Argh.

Lessee.

I think this can be solved by changing ange-ftp-name-format to be the
same as tramp-file-name-structure.  Then I don't need to change the
filenames at all.

So all the filename rewriting can be taken out again.

> * Then I need to have Tramp accept the port number for the Ange-FTP
>   case.
>
> * Then comes an Ange-FTP-like filename format for the non-multi
>   methods.
>
> * Then comes a new format for the multi-hop filenames.

These three items are still on my todo list.

kai