Re: Tramp: how to handle make-symbolic-link?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Tramp: how to handle make-symbolic-link?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:39:27 -0600 (MDT)

    So the LINKNAME argument does not look like a Tramp filename.  But
    what if the target of the symbolic link is an absolute filename?
    Which of the two kinds of calls do we expect?

    (make-symbolic-link "/address@hidden:/name/of/file"
"/address@hidden:/path/to/target")
    (make-symbolic-link "/address@hidden:/name/of/file" "/path/to/target")

I disagree with the view that the link target is just a string.
It is meant to be a file name.

Assuming that symlinks in the remote file system can only point to
that same remote file system, the former request is possible, and the
latter should get an error because there is no way to make a link to
the local machine's disk.