Re: Building emacs with and without X -- packaging question.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Building emacs with and without X -- packaging question.
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:16:41 -0400

>     I changed the lisp/Makefile.in custom-deps rule as follows.  The only
>     difference it to write a timestamped file containing $$wins to /tmp.
>     The resulting files (one from the X build, and one from the no-X
>     build) were identical, but the cus-load.el files in the two resulting
>     build trees were still different.
>
> Peculiar.  I guess the next step is to put some tracing code in
> cus-dep.el itself.

IIRC It's because cus-dep.el loads files and the load order is important.
The set of preloaded files is different, so the load order is different
so the resulting cus-load.el is different.
This is especially the case when one variable is defcustom'd in two
files (as is the case for c-indent-level), but I suspect it's also
the case for other situations.

        Stefan