Re: address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]
Date: 25 Jun 2002 06:36:32 +0900

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:
> We both agree on the goal.  I think the best semantics for this is
> "When a user creates a non-temporary buffer (according to our naming
> conventions), treat this buffer as an unsaved file.  It is precious,
> do auto-saving."

This is a big change in emacs' behavior.

I often create _lots_ of small random buffers with wierd names, to hold
random data (by doing `C-x C-b' and typing junk).  I expect these to go
away if I exit, and if I want something more permanent, I visit a file.

I don't mind if emacs informs me on the mode-line that my scratch
buffers won't be saved, but I _do not_ want emacs to suddenly ask me
whether I want to save each one when I exit.

> If they see a visible, seemingly non-temporary buffer in the
> buffer list, they may expect that everything they type into it will be
> auto-saved, and it will never be discarded without asking.

Who's `they'?  As you can see, I expect just the opposite.

-Miles
--
`Life is a boundless sea of bitterness'