Re: Lowercase text after full stop on describe-variable

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Lowercase text after full stop on describe-variable
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:04:01 +0200

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:20:07 -0400, "Stefan Monnier"
<monnier+gnu/address@hidden> wrote:

> Sounds just fine to me.  You might want to check what the byte compiler
> does with the obsolescence info, just to make sure that your fix doesn't
> make the byte-compiler warnings less correct.

Well, there's an example of output:

c:/usr/wrk/pru.el: In toplevel form
c:/usr/wrk/pru.el:1:7: warning: inhibit-local-variables is an obsolete variable
since before 19.15; Use enable-local-variables (with the reversed sense).
c:/usr/wrk/pru.el:1:7: warning: assignment to free variable
inhibit-local-variables
c:/usr/wrk/pru.el:2:7: warning: auto-fill-hook is an obsolete variable since
before 19.15; use auto-fill-function instead.
c:/usr/wrk/pru.el:2:7: warning: assignment to free variable auto-fill-hook
c:/usr/wrk/pru.el:3:2: warning: frame-update-faces is an obsolete function
since 21.1; No longer necessary.
c:/usr/wrk/pru.el:4:2: warning: dot-marker is an obsolete function since before
19.15; use point-marker instead.
Wrote c:/usr/wrk/pru.elc

where `inhibit-local-variable' and `frame-update-faces' have been
capitalized, while `auto-fill-hook' and `dot-marker' are not (they have
no NEW string, only a symbol).

So, obviously, either the strings are un-capitalized and
describe-variable and describe-function's new functionality is somewhat
fixed, or they are capitalized and byte-compile-obsolete is modified to
put a dot instead of a semicolon, or whatever is deemed appropriate.

Suggestions?

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u