Re: Tramp: how to handle make-symbolic-link?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Tramp: how to handle make-symbolic-link?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:39:37 -0600 (MDT)

    I don't like the rewriting, but I can live with it.  OTOH, raising an
    error just because Emacs thinks the operation doesn't make any sense
    would just be wrong.  Especially since it's not trivial for elisp code
    to transform "/destina/tion" into "/address@hidden:/destina/tion".

What is your complete proposal?

    Even Emacs uses symlink targets as non-files, for lock files.

Yes it does, and it never tries to open those.
This happens to work, but is not what symlinks are for.
The main purpose of symlinks is to refer to another file.
That is what defines their meaning.