Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 21:06:46 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Jon Cast wrote:
>
>> Is there any chance y'all could be persuaded to number releases in a
>> way that'll make it obvious what's a bug fix and what's a release
>> from CVS head?
>
> The information whether a release is a bugfix is in etc/NEWS, right at
> the beginning.  So if you need to know this, you can find the info.
>
> As for using X.Y.Z version numbers, I don't mind, but some code in Emacs
> needs to be changed for this to work: currently, any version with 3
> numbers is assumed to be a pretest by emacsbug.el and maybe other places.
> Also, loadup.el bumps up the 3rd version number automatically each time
> you rebuild the binary.
>
> [Personally, I don't see what's the fuss about the version numbering
> (other packages, such as Texinfo, do the same as Emacs), but that's just
> me.]

IMHO embedding this information in the version number is useful,
etc/NEWS is not enough.  People expect that roughly the same amount
and level of modifications were made to X.Y as X.Y+1, this is not true
if CVS HEAD is released as 21.X.  I don't think the suggested
versioning scheme was good though, for the reasons you state, but
another suggestion could be to release CVS HEAD as Emacs 22.