Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.
Date: 02 Jul 2002 10:32:43 +0900

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> I do not know what problem(s) comint-carriage-motion is supposed to fix.

Many interactive programs in unix use CR and BS characters in their
output to try to update a single line of output (e.g., in progress
indicators).

> I believe that at the very least this function should be removed from
> ielm.

It's probably safe to do so, since probably nobody tries to do such
`carriage motion tricks' in elisp.

However ielm is a very atypical use of comint, and
`comint-carriage-motion' should definitely be turned on by default.  It
doesn't work to `turn it on for specific applications' because it's
almost always the case that you really have no idea what application in
a subprocess is going to be producing the output (e.g., if the program
directly invoked by comint is a shell, the output comes from whatever
the user invokes).

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?