Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: 03 Jul 2002 00:58:30 +0900

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> If it's more convenient to name the current trunk 22.0, then I think it
> should be done.

No one has presented a good reason why it would be more convenient either.

Kim said:
> I switched to 22.x since introducing a new numbering scheme in the
> middle of an existing non-conforming numbering scheme (as 21.x)
> doesn't make sense...

but I can't see any reason why that's true, since it isn't really a `new
numbering scheme'; it's more of a minor tweak.  The only thing people
really depend on about future emacs version numbers is that they
increase, and that they `make sense', and I don't think it's any more
confusing to start using minor-minor release numbers with 21.4.x than it
would be with 22.1.x -- whereas I guarantee that people _will_ wonder
`Whoa, emacs 22 already!  What great feature did they add?!', and go
away disappointed if they hear it's `just a version number adjustment.'

-miles
--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo