Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:40:33 +0300 (IDT)

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> One reason is that we don't have to update :version fields and
> documentation if there is a well defined versioning scheme.

I sincerely doubt that the version-update problem will go away with
_any_ versioning scheme.

If we want to solve this annoyance, we should find a solution for it that
doesn't require manual work when versions change numbers.

> Releasing CVS HEAD
> as 21.4 would be a mistake, as users would think "Pah, emacs 21.4, I
> already have 21.2 and it works, I won't bother upgrading.".

I'd expect them to read NEWS first (it's normally linked from the Emacs
Web page), and only then make up their minds.

> Having faster development cycles has always been one of my gripes with
> emacs, new features shouldn't have to wait 3-4 years.

I'd say that's an exaggeration: not even 1 year has passed since v21.1,
so new features in CVS head now could be available within the next 6
months, say.  That's slightly more than 1 year since 21.1, the last
non-bugfix release.