Re: Current Tramp plans

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Current Tramp plans
Date: 02 Jul 2002 22:10:19 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> >> * Then comes an Ange-FTP-like filename format for the non-multi
> >>   methods.
> >
> > This is still to do, but ought to be trivial, more or less.
>
> I would like to test things a little bit first.  Therefore, I haven't
> made the new setup the default.  Instead, people can put
>
>     (tramp-handle-ange-ftp)
>
> into their init files to install the new filename format and to turn
> off Ange-FTP.  Please test this to see whether you like it.

If I compare this to ange-ftp on a fresh emacs -q, I see two
advanges to ange-ftp over tramp:

1) With tramp, if I enter
        C-x C-f //kfs:/ TAB
the input is simply truncated to /.  With ange-ftp, I get
completion in the home-directory of / on host `kfs'.

With tramp, I need to enter, e.g. //kfs:/home/ for TAB to work.

2) Tramp does not succeed to connect to the `kfs' host.  Ange-ftp
does.

The only method which works for me to connect from this system to
`kfs' is `tu'.  The default method used by tramp (rcp) doesn't
work... but there is no indication what is going on.

If at least the echo area would say:
Connecting to `kfs' using `rsh', I'd have a clue to what's up.

Of course, setting tramp-default-method to tu makes everything work
smoothly, but since it doesn't work out-of-the-box like native
ange-ftp does, I don't think the effect of tramp-handle-ange-ftp
should be the default setting.  But it is a nice option for tramp
users (and ange-ftp users of course :-).