Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Jon Cast
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 16:00:26 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Jon Cast wrote:

> > 2. Texinfo does the same thing.
> > [...]
> > As for 2, I doubt as many people follow Texinfo as follow Emacs

> Note that Texinfo was only an example; there are others.
> File/Text/Sh-utils, for example.

Right, but my understanding is File/Text/Sh-utils have had their
interfaces more-or-less constant for basically the entire history of
GNU---somebody using v7 Unix could be sent forward in time and use the
modern GNU stuff very nearly as efficiently as you or I, and probably
wouldn't even notice the difference.  People using Emacs 20 definitely
noticed when Emacs 21 came out :) So, I still maintain Emacs is the
most eagerly followed GNU package, so it's the one where the
versioning convention causes the biggest stir.

> > that the Texinfo development is as important as Emacs development

> IMHO, Texinfo is one of the more important GNU packages.  But I
> might be biased, since I contribute regularly to its maintenance.

I agree about Texinfo's importance.  But I doubt the /ongoing
development/ of Texinfo impacts as many people as the /ongoing
development/ of Emacs.  So, fewer people notice which CVS features
haven't made it into the latest bugfix.

Jon Cast