Re: ehelp woes, or why I hate a module that I love so much

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ehelp woes, or why I hate a module that I love so much
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 04:48:18 -0600 (MDT)

I agree it would not be fun to work on Emacs if every single step were
planned and controlled.  However, nobody proposed that.  What I am
doing is urging you to try to find a more useful and important task
that does interest you.

Right now most people working on Emacs development pay no attention to
the task list.  Items have been there for years with no one even
trying to work on them.  What it means is that most of the work people
do on Emacs is not going into the places that will help the users.

There must be room between this unfortunate state of affairs and your
extreme fantasy for us to pay more attention to doing tasks that will
make Emacs a better editor for lots of people.  I will continue
pointing out when people are proposing to do a lot of work in a narrow
corner that won't make Emacs much better.