Re: Results of C-x C-q poll

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Results of C-x C-q poll
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 18:04:39 -0400

> Here are the results of the poll on C-x C-q.  For your reference,
> this was the text of the poll:

Interesting reading.
I think that if we're going to change C-x C-q so as not to be completely
linked to VC, we should keep some link between the two.

Some people suggested to print a message when invoking C-x C-q
in a VC-controlled file.  I think it's a good idea.

In my case, I think I'd be even more happy if I could make C-x C-q
do the checkout if:
- the buffer was read-only (i.e. we're making the buffer readable)
- the file was in the `up-to-date' state

I don't actually need the C-x C-q to do the checkin (aka commit).

But then again, maybe just popping a message is enough,
and I'll just have to get used to hitting `C-x v v' (instead of
C-x C-q) in order to make my VC-controlled buffers writable.

        Stefan