Re: file extensions for gettext/msgfmt

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: file extensions for gettext/msgfmt
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:09:01 -0400

> >     * bindings.el (completion-ignored-extensions): Add ".gmo" and
> >     ".mo" generated by `msgfmt' (GNU Gettext).
> Is that really a good idea?

I think so.

> You are supposed to add extensions to that
> list if no one in their right mind would ever want to do anything at all
> with a file with such an extension.

That's not my understanding.  This list only indicates extensions of
files that are usually not edited and only instructs Emacs' completion
mechanism to prefer other file names when you hit TAB.

Basically, it just changes `try-completion' on files to do

   (or (try-completion <file> <files> 'not-in-completion-ignored-extensions)
       (try-completion <file> <files>))

> Files produced by msgfmt are not
> junk, they can be copied, renamed, and even edited if necessary.

Sure, I don't see the relevance of this remark.
Maybe `completion-ignored-extensions' should simply not always be used
(as someone remarked it should probably be ignored for `hexl-find-file').

        Stefan