Re: reducing defface redundancy

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: reducing defface redundancy
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 12:51:32 -0600 (MDT)

    It depends on how buffer-local face definitions are implemented.  My
    feeling is that there _shouldn't_ be real buffer-specific faces, but
    rather a way of remapping faces within a buffer.

Face remapping sounds like a convenient interface for this job.  It
also should be easy to implement.

Meanwhile, what do we really want in regard to frame-specific
attributes?  We want to have faces look different on different kinds
of terminals.  The method we use to specify this is the specs in
defface.  That feature should remain.  But is there any use for
functions to set face attributes per frame?  I see none.  Maybe we
should eliminate that feature.  If we ever want to provide such a
feature in the future, we could provide per-frame face remapping like
the per-buffer face remapping.