Re: What happened to the key-menu patch?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What happened to the key-menu patch?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 04:43:22 -0600 (MDT)

      Also there
    is the issue of eliminating/merging duplicate bindings, which I think
    XEmacs' code punts on by declaring that `map-keymap' does not look at
    the keymap's parent(s).

By duplicate bindings do you mean shadowed bindings?

I think that if you ask for "scan the parents", by default you should
get all the bindings, including shadowed bindings.  However, there
could be an optional feature to ignore shadowed bindings.  That is not
terribly hard to do.  Just do a lookup for that event type, and see if
the binding that it reports is the one you have in hand.  I think that
there is already code to do this, probably in where-is-internal.

As for merging of subkeymaps, you don't have to worry about that.
read-key-sequence implicitly merges the keymaps that it gets for a
prefix key, when it gets them from different maps.  But it does not
merge the prefix definition from one map A with prefix definitions
from its parent B.  That is handled by making the prefix binding found
in map A have as its parent the prefix binding found in map B.
In other words, for scanning parents, you don't have to do anything
special when the binding is a keymap.