Re: GNU Kerberos breakage (was Re: emacs/lisp/ChangeLog CVS lock)

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: GNU Kerberos breakage (was Re: emacs/lisp/ChangeLog CVS lock)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 20:03:06 -0700

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:32:25PM -0400, Ken Raeburn wrote:

> > I wrote to system-hackers@ about 40 hours ago, but I got no response
> > yet.  Any suggestions?

Sorry, we've been a bit busy trying to make sure that we get
everything up and running.

> The Kerberos server seems to be online now, though some (all?) of its
> data has been trashed.  No more address@hidden any more, and
> cross-realm authentication from ATHENA.MIT.EDU is broken too; I can't
> even get tickets from the GNU KDC.

I haven't seen a note to accounts or system-hackers from you yet.  Did
I miss one?

I don't know if cross-realm auth from ATHENA.MIT.EDU will be
preserved.  We don't really have useful contacts there these days, so
it's hard to maintain that as a trust relationship.

> I talked to a guy who knows some people etc,

> and he said one of the FSF machines was broken into, one for general
> remote login access.  Not the Kerberos server, so I don't know why
> it's been changed.  And I don't know *when* the breakin happened,
> but three days of down time seems pretty lame.

I haven't seen an email from you offering help either.  Did I miss
that too?

> It also appears that Kerberos rsh access to the CVS server has been
> shut off.

How are you testing this if you can't get a ticket?

> That's how I'd been accessing it for years, since before the FSF ran
> ssh servers.[1] So I had a whole bunch of problems in my way when I
> was trying yesterday....

And you're welcome to keep accessing it that way.  Although we'll be
offering Kerberised SSHv2 shortly as well.

Any other questions?  The rest of your email appeared to just be a
rant.

--
I reincarnated for this?