Re: GNU Kerberos breakage (was Re: emacs/lisp/ChangeLog CVS lock)

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: GNU Kerberos breakage (was Re: emacs/lisp/ChangeLog CVS lock)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:00:17 -0400

Jeff Bailey <address@hidden> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:32:25PM -0400, Ken Raeburn wrote:
>
>> > I wrote to system-hackers@ about 40 hours ago, but I got no response
>> > yet.  Any suggestions?
>
> Sorry, we've been a bit busy trying to make sure that we get
> everything up and running.
>
>> The Kerberos server seems to be online now, though some (all?) of its
>> data has been trashed.  No more address@hidden any more, and
>> cross-realm authentication from ATHENA.MIT.EDU is broken too; I can't
>> even get tickets from the GNU KDC.
>
> I haven't seen a note to accounts or system-hackers from you yet.  Did
> I miss one?

Well, there was the email you just responded to, to system-hackers and
Francesco among others, telling him what I've observed and heard about
the situation, since he said he hadn't gotten a response to his email
in nearly two days.

> I don't know if cross-realm auth from ATHENA.MIT.EDU will be
> preserved.  We don't really have useful contacts there these days, so
> it's hard to maintain that as a trust relationship.

Well, there's me... but my only useful contact on your end for
Kerberos stuff has been Joel.  He's been talking to me (and maybe Tom
Yu?) about Kerberos stuff on occasion, as needed.

Why did the entries get deleted, anyways?  Did the Kerberos server get
broken into after all?

> I haven't seen an email from you offering help either.  Did I miss
> that too?

If you need help on Kerberos related stuff, I'd be happy to give some.
I could even make half an argument that debugging Kerberos problems at
your site is kind of job-related, maybe.

Non-Kerberos stuff, well, that'd depend on my free time, and my coming
up to speed on what you're doing, etc, etc.

> How are you testing this if you can't get a ticket?

"telnet subversions.gnu.org 544" says "connection refused"; 544 is
Kerberos rsh.

> And you're welcome to keep accessing it that way.  Although we'll be
> offering Kerberised SSHv2 shortly as well.

That's good news, thank you.

> Any other questions?  The rest of your email appeared to just be a
> rant.

Yes, I'm sorry about the tone, but being shut out for a couple of
days, with no information I could find on why, and (from Francesco's
comments) no information coming from sysadmins, I was feeling pretty
frustrated.

Ken