Re: mentioning variable aliases in `describe-variable'

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: mentioning variable aliases in `describe-variable'
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:17:48 +0200

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 01:30:03 +0100, John Paul Wallington <address@hidden> wrote:

> I like your suggestion.  How about this:

I like it near the top, too. Much cleaner, IMHO. Also it would make
sense to show the documentation for the aliased variable when describing
the alias. Now, for example:

> automatic-hscrolling's value is t
>
> Documentation:
> Not documented as a variable.
>
> This variable is an alias for `auto-hscroll-mode'.
>
> Defined in `frame'.

but

> auto-hscroll-mode's value is t
>
> Documentation:
> *Allow or disallow automatic scrolling windows horizontally.
> If non-nil, windows are automatically scrolled horizontally to make
> point visible.
>
> You can customize this variable.
>
> Defined in `frame'.

It's not very helpful to mention the aliased variable in the alias
description without the documentation, because that forces the user to
do another describe-variable. And `defvaralias' does not allow
introducing any new documentation for the alias, so there's no
posibility of conflict.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u