Re: Tramp/Ange-FTP filename unification

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Tramp/Ange-FTP filename unification
Date: 12 Jul 2002 14:40:27 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> >> I think I've now done it so that it works.  The new filename format
> >> is this:
> >>
> >> Normal:
> >>     /method:address@hidden:/path/to/file
> >> Multi-hop:
> >>     /multi:hopm1:address@hidden:hopm2:address@hidden:/path/to/file
> >
> > Using `:' for both separators makes filenames with omitted components
> > more ambiguous.
>
> Well, the filename "/method:/path/to/file" does not make sense IMHO.
> Tramp is for editing remote files, you should always specify at least
> a host name.  So in a filename like "/x:y", the x will be interpreted
> as a host name.
>
> Do you think that's bad?

Like Miles, I was worried at first, but I think the new syntax makes sense.

In any case, the "long style syntax" wouldn't really matter if tramp
handles "host abbrevs" so that writing /xyz:/ is automagically
expanded to /multi:m1:address@hidden:m2:address@hidden:/ (behind the scenes
please)
whenever it is used.

This will also allow me to make an abbrev /su:/ to do "su root" on my
own machine by expanding to /su:address@hidden:/.

So is tramp-abbrevs implemented yet?