Re: mentioning variable aliases in `describe-variable'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: mentioning variable aliases in `describe-variable'
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:25:48 -0400

> John Paul Wallington <address@hidden> writes:
> > > And speaking of that: why does `describe-variable' put that useless
> > > "Documentation:" header? `describe-function' does not do it, i.e.:
> >
> > I think for variables with big values, like `global-map', it makes sense.
>
> Why?  If you mean `because it matches the Value: label used below', I'm
> not sure why it matters.

Maybe because John forgot that when the value is "large" it's moved to
after the documentation ?

> I agree with Juanma; `Documentation:' is just an ugly and useless wart.

Agreed.  While we're at it, I don't like the fact that the
"defined in `foo'" is at the end.  Putting it at the beginning (as is
done for functions) is much better IMO.
I think the general rule-of-thumb is that one-line info should be at the
beginning and large/variable-sized info (such as the doc) should be
kept for the "tail" end.

        Stefan