Re: non-ASCII cut/paste emacs <-> mozilla

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: non-ASCII cut/paste emacs <-> mozilla
Date: 16 Jul 2002 10:40:54 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > Has anyone else out there managed to get cut and paste between emacs and
> > mozilla (v1.0) working for non-ASCII text?  When I cut text out of
> > mozilla and paste it into emacs, I get a question-mark for each
> > noN-ASCII character; in the reverse direction, I get line-noise type
> > stuff that I assume is the raw encoding.
>
> What is the character set of the non-ASCII characters you paste?

It seems to happen with everything I've tried; I originally wanted to
cut/paste japanese characters, for which C-x = says:

    charset: japanese-jisx0208 (JISX0208.1983/1990 Japanese Kanji: ISO-IR-87.)

However, the same thing happens with `latin-iso8859-1' characters.

> Also, can you please post one example of that ``line noise'' exactly
> as displayed by Mozilla?

If I try to paste this word:     caf.ANi
from emacs into mozilla, I get:  caf?

If I try to paste this word:     $B3NG'(B
from emacs into mozilla, I get:  <box>$(B3NG'<box>(B
where <box> is a little graphical box.

Interestingly enough, if I cut the above `<box>$(B3NG'<box>(B'
gibberish out of mozilla, and paste _that_ into emacs, it looks correct
in emacs!  So mozilla is apparently just pasting the raw encoded
characters from X, without interpretation.

[However, that _doesn't_ happen with the latin-1 characters -- the `?'
displayed in mozilla for `.ANi' is apparently a real question-mark.]

> Finally, does anything change if you use
> compound-text as your selection-coding-system?

No.

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!