Re: improving function "mode-line-unbury-buffer" in bindings.el

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: improving function "mode-line-unbury-buffer" in bindings.el
Date: 16 Jul 2002 17:08:58 +0200

>      Somehow, "bury-buffer <f>" doesn't display a buffer which is not
>     displayed still once, when there are several buffers which is displayed
>     before.
>
> I think you have probably found a real bug, i'm having a lot of
> trouble parsing your explanation.  Do you think you could explain the
> problem to address@hidden in Japanese?  Then he can tell us what's
> wrong.

As I read the bug report, it's quite simple:

Here is what is CLAIMED to happen with bury-buffer:

When you use bury-buffer to bury the buffer in the selected window,
the NEXT buffer to be shown in the selected window is chosen with a
preference to show a buffer which has previously been shown in a
window.

So if you have buffers xyz (in the selected window), *scratch* (shown
before), and *Messages* (not shown before), then:

- doing bury-buffer once will bury xyz and show *scratch*, and
- doing bury-buffer again will bury *scratch* and show xyz.

I.e. *Messages* is not shown as a result of bury-buffer since it has
not been shown before.

The CLAIM is then that (mode-line-)unbury-buffer should not choose to
show *Messages* either, but it may do that.

However, using CVS emacs, I cannot even get bury-buffer to work as
reported, so I'm still not sure what the exact problem is.