Re: emacs and guile (Re: ehelp woes, or why I hate a module that I love

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs and guile (Re: ehelp woes, or why I hate a module that I love so much)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:55:57 -0600 (MDT)

    (BTW, I've got a patch that adds configures option to turn on
    ENABLE_CHECKING, or just the use of a union for Lisp_Object.  Should I
    check it in?

Could you show us what it looks like?

Use of the union type caused the code to be much slower, with typical
Unix compilers in the 80s.  GCC might do a better job with it, but I think
it is an interesting question whether the compiled code for Emacs is as good
when using the union type as it is when using an integer type.  What have
you observed?