Re: arglist in docstring (was: mentioning variable aliases in `describe-

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: arglist in docstring (was: mentioning variable aliases in `describe-variable' )
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:25:45 +0200

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:55:31 -0600 (MDT), Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
wrote:

> We could add an extra argument in `autoload' where you can specify
> the obsolescence information, and we could perhaps make
> update-file-autoloads notice the "obsolete" information
> and put that in the `autoload'.

I thought so too, but Stefan's method is simpler, and there aren't that
many functions that are both autoloaded and obsolete.

Apart from the four or so functions to which I've added autoload cookies,
there's a few (dot, dot-max, dot-min, dot-marker, buffer-flush-undo,
baud-rate, compiled-function-p and define-function) that don't get
obsolescence info when `describe-variable'd because that info is in
emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el but should really be in subr.el (where the
functions are defined).

I have not moved that obsolescence declarations to subr.el because I
don't know enough about the bytecompiler to know if that makes a
difference, but I think no, so if someone-in-the-know gives me the go,
I'll change them ASAP.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u