Re: byte-compiler very slow

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: byte-compiler very slow
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:19:49 -0600 (MDT)

    I think for the short term, we could make batch-byte-compile set a flag
    which reverts to the previous behavior of just printing line numbers.

The previous behavior printed *incorrect* line numbers; going back
there does not seem very good.  I think we should make this work
better.

Someone said that turning this feature off does not bring back the old
speed.  I wonder if turning it off really turns off the whole
mechanism.  Did anyone check what the code says?

Treating the code as a black box is unlikely to solve this.  That's a
futile approach to any bug, almost a waste of time.  What we need is
some real debugging.  Would someone like to study the actual changes
and what they do that might cause a slowdown?  Would someone like to
profile the new version and see where this time is spent?